Kalahasti Temple is famous for the Pooja rituals of Rahu and Ketu to get rid of various doshas. The effect of Kal Sarpa Dosha, Rahu Dosha, Ketu Dosha, Sarpa Dosha, Sarpa Hatya Dosha etc. can be ameliorated by offering pooja at this temple.
Kalahasti Temple is located in the town of Srikalahasti in Chittoor district in the state of Andhra Pradesh. Srikalahasti town is a part of the Tirupati Urban Development Authority who is authorized to manage all the civic requirements. Kalahasti Temple is one of the ancient temples of Andhra Pradesh and is said to be constructed during 5th centuries by the Pallava dynasty.
Legends about Kalahasti Temple
There are many legends connected with the glory of Kalahasti Temple. In one of the legend, it is said that Mata Parvati was cursed by Lord Shiva and asked to discard the heavenly body and reside in Mrityulok as a normal human being. Mata Parvati came on this earth and performed long penance here at the place of Kalahasti Temple. Lord Shiva was pleased with her pooja and recreated her body. She was known and since then adored as Shiva-Gnanam Gnana Prasunamba or Gnana Prasunambika Mata.
In one of the similar legend, Ghanakala was cursed to become a ghost, therefore, he prayed to Lord Shiva at this Kalahasti Temple for 15 years and chanted the Bhairava mantras. Please with the penance, Lord Shiva restored Ghankala to his original form from the ghost.
There are many such stories floating around at the Kalahasti Temple. Such stories have been told from the ancient times. Devotees in large number still throng at this Kalahasti Temple to offer their prayers and please the deity.
Votive Offerings at the Kalahasti Temple
People suffer from different problems in life. Some are having health problems, some have financial problems, some are facing problems in getting married or marriages of their siblings and some may be having other such problems in life. To get rid of the ill effects of various Grahas and dosha pooja is offered to please Rahu and Ketu at the Kalahasti Temple.
At the Kalahasti Temple pooja is performed on almost any day. But as per Panchang Shubh Muharata, the best days for offering pooja is on tithi of Chaturthi, Panchami, and Purnima. Special pooja is also offered during the days of solar and lunar eclipses. In general days, the best day for performing pooja at Kalahasti Temple is said to be the day of Lord Hanuman i.e on Tuesday.
Pooja Timings at Kalahasti Temple
At the temple premises, though pooja is performed throughout the day and night ideal time for offering pooja is as below:-
- Monday: 0730 to 0900 HRS
- Tuesday: 1500 to 1630 HRS
- Wednesday: 1200 to 1330 HRS
- Thursday: 1330 to 1500 HRS
- Friday: 1030 to 1200 HRS
- Saturday: 0900 to 1030 HRS
- Sunday: 1630 to 1800 HRS
Practices and Procedures for the Offering
There are specific practices and the procedures which are needed to be performed by every devotee who comes at the Kalahasti Temple to offer the Pooja. A brief of such practices is given below:-
- Before the performance of the pooja, one is supposed to sleep on floors at least a day before the pooja day.
- Next day on the pooja day, get up early in the morning take bath and at the Kalahasti Temple perform Abhishekam with milk to the deity at Rudra Padam which is situated approx. 100 ft away from the Pathala Ganapathi Temple.
- After performing Abhishekam, make 3 Pradakshinam to the idols and sprinkle the milk on the idols each time.
- Now Rahu Ketu Kala Sarpa Dosha pooja is performed at the specified place in the temple
- After the performance of the pooja, there is a customary practice of offering donations to the poor. It may be offering 2-3 packets of meals to the poor who may be sighted nearby to the place.
- With this, your pooja is over and you can go to your hotel or the place of residence. After reaching your place of residence, it is customary to take again bath and your clothes should be washed up.
Types of Pooja and Donations
For performing pooja at the Kalahasti Temple, the management has fixed certain pooja charges and a ticket to that effect can be obtained from the counter by remitting the appropriate amount. This facility has been formed to avoid any devotee from being cheated by anyone at the temple. Different Pooja charges are as follows:-
ONE TIME FEE
Type & Description of Pooja
ONE TIME FEE
Rahu Ketu Pooja
Special Kala Sarpa Nivarana Pooja
Aseervachana Rahu Ketu Kala Sarpa Nivarana pooja
Special Aseervachana Rahu Ketu Kala Sarpa Nivarana pooja
ONE TIME FEE
Sri Krishna Devaraya Mandapam
Outside the temple near the Dwajasthambham (Addala Mantap)
Inside the temple near the Dwajasthambham
ONE TIME FEE
For any query about Sri Kalahasti Temple and the Pooja, please do contact at the Mobile number: +91-9393939510.